Wednesday, June 27, 2007

And they're off! (but you knew that)

Last Sunday, Bob and Kay and I got our feet wet as contradance callers. Bob had called a couple of times before, so he was our expert. We got together over dinner and, after dinner, roped in one of our dinner companions to make a fourth for testing out contra dances. Bob called a dance he had written, which worked great in the living room - then he realized that the partner swing was up and down the line, not on the side, so he rewrote it on the spot.

Kay and I got together one more time after that to practice calling to the music. Well, they say that if you have a bad dress rehearsal, the performance will be good...I think we each practiced in our back yards a couple of times, but by Sunday we were good and nervous about it. It seemed to go off okay, though. The fans were forgiving and supportive, and I only made one truly glaring error, easily corrected by the dancers, and Kay claims she lost track of where the music was, but you couldn't prove it by me. I was sitting on stage behind the curtain keeping track Just In Case, but finally left the stage when I realized she just wasn't going to get lost.

So we all managed it. I missed Bob's calling, but he was still smiling when I saw him, so that's a good sign. For me, it was my first time calling (unless you count the time I had Becky Hill by my side, feeding the words in my ear and giving me a nudge every time I was supposed to call), so just surviving was good news. It was Kay's first time calling contra, though I hear tell she's called English before... She was a natural.

3 comments:

Kay said...

Whoa--you don't waste any time, girl! (But we knew that, too!)

Charles said...

Count me in as either a dancer or musician as needed. Don't know if I'd be a very good caller.

Unknown said...

But Charles, we think you would make a good caller. Based on your performance as dance master, it's clear you can communicate the moves, and your voice is good. I'm big on calling "musically", and you will certainly understand that!

While it's true that many callers are pretty much control freaks, we can hope that understanding how the dance works and calling in time can be an adequate substitute.:-) Extra points are awarded for matching the words and the texture of the calling to the phrasing and texture of the dance.

You can do that.