Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Mind Game?

I was emailing with Greg just now about what it was that made Sunday's contra such a fantastic experience for me. He asked if it was "Gaye's calling? The complexity of the dances? The great music? The competent dancers from all over the US?" My answer was "all of the above"--it's a synergistic kind of thing, of course.

One of the dances in particular stands out for me. I think it was the one called "Lost in Space" (or it might have been the one right before or after that one). Those of you who were there will probably know which one I mean--it has you doing an allemande with your neighbor, I think, then pulling by your partner, the next person, turning the next one left and coming all the way back.... Something like that.... (Can you tell I'm not a caller yet?)

Anyway, the point is that the energy of that dance was so high that I wasn't the only one yipping and shouting for the sheer joy of it. And I wonder if Gaye, our fabulous caller, pulled a little trick on us to set us up for that experience: As she taught the dance, she kept saying that she'd seen it break down many, many times, and that we'd do it until somebody fell down, and then she'd ask the band to quit. She actually said that about a couple of dances, as I recall. At the time I wondered why she was "scaring" us, but now I wonder if she was deliberately adding to the anticipation, and to the exhilaration when we actually did it right. I mean, she knew she had a hall full of really good dancers who could more than likely pull it off....

What think, you all?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, a lot of things came together to build a Sense of Occasion this weekend, and by the time we got to Sunday, we all knew we were in for a good time. Combine great weather, a terrific caller and her favorite dances, high-energy music, with a room full of (rested) good dancers who have been prepped for weeks to look forward to the event, and the result is a heightened experience.

What do I really think Gaye was doing with the "this may break down remark"? Probably being honest.

But then, art is in the eye of the beholder, and if the remark created the thrill of doing something dangerous, that's pretty cool.