Monday, September 3, 2007

Calling Party on September 4

Another fun time! I got home a little late from teaching, but Bob had done a great job of hosting the party, and everything was in full, uh, swing, when I got there. Bob's dance XYZ looked like it is ready for prime time. Wade called - Mr. Quiet turns out to be a good caller...give a guy a microphone and watch out!

I think I'm just about ready to try calling my one English dance in public. I've finally practiced it enough (on my walks, in the car)to be able to remember it, mostly. I worked on reducing the number of syllables I say (ala Bruce Hamilton) by saying, for instance "First man and second lady cast around the others" instead of "First man cast down around the second man and second lady cast up around the first lady."

Chrystal called an updated version of "Female Saylor" which we want to call "Chrystal Saylor". It worked great. I played the tune, which sounds like the Christmas carol "Master in the Hall". We were short just one dancer, so Chrystal called while dancing. Talented, that's what she is...

Kay called a contra with some very interesting bits in it. Drat, I can't remember the name of it. The hey started from the middle - and we learned that it's a dance best done to music that isn't super fast. We then tried out various versions of the ricochet hey that the trad-callers list was discussing last week.

Good group, this one: Eric and Wade and Bob and Lyndon and Reida and Gitry and Kay and Chrystal and I - the requisite nine!

Next week, Wednesday at Kay's house!

M
E

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 7:00PM

Calling party at 433 Marford Drive, Creve Coeur, MO 63141.

Call 314-872-3239 if you need directions.