Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy New Year and Thanks for 2008

Hard to believe, but we're calling our SECOND New Year's Eve tomorrow night. Amazing, but true. And what a year 2008 was!

Here are some of our accomplishments in 2008:
1. Four dance writers came out of the Hatchling group, and we were able to call an entire (wonderful) evening of recent dances. This I never expected, but it makes sense that if you unleash creativity, you unleash creativity!

2. We started a new Hatchling dance series with both contra and English dances, and garnered the support of the Childgrove Country Dancers (thank you thank you thank you!). This also, was hardly intended when we started out, but with so many of us discovering how fun it is to call, we needed to create more opportunities to ply our craft. To me, that translates into five more chances to dance in 2008, one in June, then September, October, November, and December. MORE DANCING! Always a good thing.

3. We were invited to be guest callers at 14 Childgrove dances, and called four entire Childgrove dances, two as Hatchlings, one as Chicklings (girl Hatchlings), and then the Karen and Wade night! Tomorrow adds the capstone to a fine calling year

4. Two Hatchlings called English dances at our local ECD group - and several Hatchlings became (new) regular dancers at English.

5. We called at dance weekends - almost two-thirds of the dances at Kimmswick, a whole bunch at Sugar Hill and the Cumberland Dance Week, and the after-party at the Lawrence, KS weekend. There may be others I don't know about!

6. We called at Flash Dances - seven public outings - Borders, Kirkwood Station, Forest Park, the Botanical Garden, Tower Grove Park, Park Palooza at the Arch, and Grand Center.

7. We called at Youth Contras, the Elsah dance, the Jovial Beggars dance in Rolla, at Dance Discovery open mic nights - are there others I've missed?

8. Heck, we even have our own blog!

9. Let's not forget the Calling Parties, about 36, by my count (including two at lovely Reida's house). There may be more. I would not like to venture to count the bottles of wine, the bowls of guacamole, the chips, the chocolate, the cookies, or the after-midnight jokes, but they were all yummy and funny.

10. I would like to add one more accomplishment - you all made our household a happy one - this in spite of all that was working to prevent this outcome! This year saw my father sink further into Alzheimer's and eventually die, my mother become progressively weaker with Parkinson's, and our dear friend Michael take one too many risks, but your generous, creative and loving spirits fill the house with laughter and friendship and dancing and conversation, and we end this year with strength and joy.

Thanks for the dance. Hugs all around.

M
E

1 comment:

TwinkleToze said...

Martha,
That was very moving -- Esp. the part about helping make yours a happy household in spite of . . .

I've been meaning to blog about one accomplishment I'm very proud of. It happened the night of the Chicklings dance. At the break, Shirley Baker came up to me and said that she'd just had the most fun she'd had at a dance at a long time! Now how's that for cool!?!

Also it was quite a personal accomplishment for me to call the 1/2 night that I shared with Wade. It felt so good that I sent out my email calling for more of the same or similar. I'm happy to have gotten nothing but positive responses, so far. So I'm looking forward to a real blossoming of the Hatchlings in 2009. The group, you all, and the calling have been very valuable and growthful experiences for me. I love how we help and support one another. It's been great. Thank you all.
Karen