Monday, April 6, 2009

April 4th's Hatchling Dance

Well, this last Hatchling dance was really a challenge (that we met successfully, I'd say).

A few minutes before starting time, a whole group of newcomers came in, all but one of whom were foreign students. So not only were most of them not dancers at all, but there were a few language problems, too! I think nearly all of the callers started sweating about then. I know I did. "Are my dances too hard? Should I change what I planned to call? Will I be able to teach clearly enough so that most of the group really gets it?"

To our credit, I think every Hatchling did very well. And only one of us actually changed our dance. The double figure of 8 in "Dosigates" was just too much for about 1/2 the people, so Bob switched over to "A Roll in the Hey," and called it seamlessly. So it was very good practice for us as far as teaching goes. But I found it (the calling, and the dancing with many newcomers) to be very exhausting, though ultimately very satisfying.

One question that I've asked before (in a comment), that this experience made me wonder about again: Has anyone thought about having the Hatchling dance be on a Friday instead? This isn't the first time that Dan and I have missed the Sunday dance because we felt too worn out after the Hatchling dance. Dance weekends are one thing . . . the energy of the whole experience bouys you up. But as far as regular dances go, I'd much prefer to have a day of rest between. Anyone else feel this way, or are we just the biggest wimps in the Contra community??

Anyway, I'm proud of the Hatchlings' performance on the 4th, and I think most everyone had a good time. Some of the newcomers said they'd be back. We'll warmly welcome them again, if so, and hope that our teaching, calling, and dancing with them had something to do with it.

~Karen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I must say, this sounds like a classic caller's nightmare. Twenty-five percent of your people were non-dancers - with some language challenges? Aieee!!

You are all to be congratulated for your strength and courage under fire.

Bob told me the teaching and the dances ran a little long in the first half so you shortened up the dances in the second half. I got the same story from Kristin, who told me the band never got to the third tune in their medleys. (Note to self: if you think the dance is going to run short, let the band know. They'll switch tunes sooner.)

Were there any specific techniques you used in the teaching that you would want to repeat? Any that you would not use ever again?

Bottom line: Congratulations on a tough job well done!

M
E