Sunday, May 10, 2009

Raising that Bar!

A couple months ago I suggested the Hatchling callers challenge themselves to improve their weaknesses. A few have done that

Billy called a square (quite successfully)
David greatly increased his presence on stage
Martha called without a card
Karen called a dance without practicing at a party

I am sure there are others

I hope to see more of this type of improvement. Do not be satisfied calling the same old contra type dances you have been doing for almost 2 years now. You are all beyond the point that simply calling a larger quantity of dances can be considered real progress.

I discussed with the Childgrove board and a couple hatchling callers what criteria could be used to determine when a caller is ready for a full night.. I suggested that we should expect a caller to be able to call a square or two (not a NE square) before they get a full night to call. Everyone thought that was a bad idea – except those who have already called squares. They all thought it was a very important step and should be use as a criteria. That tells me you need to try this to realize how much it will improve your contra calling.

One ‘reason’ I have heard is that contras are easy to find – but squares are more difficult. I don’t buy that. Saturday night Deborah called 2 very nice squares. They were interesting and had a lot of activity – but were not hard to teach or call (especially if you were to practice both at a calling party). The breaks she called were also very nice – although, if you are afraid of learning an figure and a break – couldn’t any of you call ”Allemande Left – Grand Right & Left?

Both of her squares and one break (the Grand Sashay) could be called to the musical phrasing – for those of you who like to do that. Did any of you ask her for copies of those?

And for those who want a bigger challenge – for all dance types – rather than just focusing on calling to the music’s phrasing – how about adding the rhythm and even the melody. Patter calls on squares helps you do this – but you can throw in patter on contras too. It will feel stupid at first – but will quickly become natural and be part of your style.

As usual – I think any of the local callers will be happy to help you with any of these or other improvements you want to work on.
Mac

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that one of the things that shows I'm not a "real" caller yet is that I don't ask other callers for their dances and I don't write down dances and I can't (or don't) remember the dances afterwards.

Mind you, I do try to remember the names of dances I particularly like -- so I can look them up on the web. I like looking them up on the web. I can do it on my own time, without bothering anyone.

When I say that squares are hard to find - I mean that they're hard to find on the web. They must still be part of the oral, as opposed to the digital, tradition.

That's so...twentieth century...

Unless I just haven't found the right search terms yet... You can't search for them using "New England Squares" because all the search results you get are Western Square dance groups in New England. Same with "Southern Squares". You get closer with the search terms "contras and squares", though it's mostly contra dance groups, rather than the dances.

And yes, you can buy the books from CDSS.

M
E

mac said...

The drawback of the 21st century, get everything off the web, approach is that you don't get to 'try it before you buy it'. Unless you are really good at analyzing dances you have no idea how it is going to feel to do a dance you pull off the web. When someone asks another caller for a dance (or just writes it down from memory) it is because they had a very good experience dancing it or there was lots of positive feedback from other dancers. Callers generally consider it a compliment if you ask about one or 2 or their dances. Even when I write down a dance from memory - I still make it a point to verify the name and author with the caller. Often there are several versions of a dance out there - so you might get a different dance by using the name to find it on the web.

Kay said...

I had the experience of "different versions" recently with an English Country dance. Peter asked me to call "Northdown Waltz," so I dutifully went to the Internet and got the figures.

Much to Peter's surprise, "my" version had a full poussette instead of the ballroom-hold waltz that he expected for the B2.

I have yet to find out which version is the original--the dance is from 1820, I believe. Anyway, it worked fine, just wasn't what was expected.