Thursday, August 23, 2007

Teddy Bears and Salt Shakers redux

lined up for the danceWho needs salt shakers when you have saucy little fruits lying around the house?

Kay and I worked out another dance from George Washington's Birthday Ball called "Portsmouth". It's a fairly simple English Country Dance, with a lovely tune, and it widened my understanding considerably (given how little I know, that's not too hard). It introduced me, for example, to the marvels of the "triple minor" set, and to a lovely move called a "crossover hey."

We worked it out with a lemon, two limes and three tomatoes, but realized we really needed another couple to be able to see the progression, so another tomato volunteered, um, his services, and a tarty red pepper was invited in as well. You could just feel the lemon and limes disapproving, but we got the dance figured out. What you see in the picture is the end of the second time through the dance. I'll put the dance in the comments.

M
E

5 comments:

Unknown said...

PORTSMOUTH

A1 First lady crosses down between the second and third men to begin a hey on the side of the set while the first man crosses down between the second and third ladies to begin a hey on the other side of the set. The first couple ends up in the first place, but in improper position.

A2 The first couple crosses over, and casts down below the second couple, then does a two-hand turn, ending proper in the second place.

B1 All three ladies join hands, and all three men join hands, and fall back a double, then move forward, setting to their partners. All join hands with their partners and turn two hands once around.

B2 All three couples join hands and circle to the left eight counts with a chasse step, then circle back to the right eight counts with a chasse step, leaving the first couple progressed, ready to begin the dance again with the two couples below. (The previous second couple is now out at the end.)

Chrystal said...

Sounds like a fun dance! I recently found that with a smooth surface a deck of cards works well. Face cards provide M & F and the colors represent couples 1 & 2. That's the way I worked out my dance that someday I will call for the group.

Kay said...

So Chrystal--what dance is this, pray tell? I can hardly wait! Next time, you're on, girl!

Deck of cards--sounds like a great idea.

Chrystal said...

I picked a dance called Female Sailor(Saylor). However...when I was walking thru it in the living room I realized that is solidified the meaning of actives and inactives. The 2's didn't do anything until B1. oops...and Martha had already gotten the music. So, I decided to change some stuff(make it a little more inactive friendly and a little less like the 1's were running circles around the 2's) and make it Chrystal's version of a dance once called Female Sailor.

Now you are probably wondering why I would stick with a dance that seems so shaky...
When I was directing the Jr. High choir last Christmas they performed the old carol "Masters in this Hall" We were looking at the history behind the song and discovered that it had its roots in (according to my teaching resources) "old french dancing" and then later it was transformed into a carol. When I was looking for dances Female Sailor had a Midi file so I could hear the music, and you guessed it. It was the Masters in this Hall music.

Chrystal said...

Also, I have to work this Wednesday--next time!