Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Calling Party this Wednesday, December 19

It's lovely. A few people have discovered that the calling parties are a good way to get in an extra night of dancing! And we thank you for your sacrifice.

My house, 7:00pm. E-mail me if you need directions.

There is much to do, much to discuss! We have a Contra calling opportunity coming up the day after Christmas, as well as New Year's Eve, and there's the English Country Dance Christmas Ball on January 5, at which some of us may be calling.

I used my shiny new CDSS membership discount to get the entire set of ECD dance CDs put out by Bare Necessities, so now we'll have a lot of music already recorded to dance to. (My offer continues to stand, in addition, to provide a practice tape of any piece you want to call a dance to, in case it isn't on the Bare Necessities CDs.) I also now have the big Playford book, so we can be up to date on the popular dances of the day, so long as the day is a couple of centuries ago.

I'm also working on getting a representative group of tunes for contras with clear "potatoes" ready for us to choose from, complete with beats per minute counts. I've divided them roughly into "old time" and "not old time". If you own any favorites you'd like to dance to, just bring the CD!

M
E

No comments: