Friday, May 9, 2008

Calling at Kimmswick

Different dance weekends do things differently, but here's how I've coordinated the Kimmswick calling in the past. Please note that I took over the caller coordinating from someone who used to write the available time slots on a sheet of paper, fill his name in at the peak spot, and then hang it up on the wall for anyone to sign up. So I've tended to manage things a little more closely. Not saying it's better.

  • I look at the list of attendees for callers I know, ask around for new callers, and then generate a list each night.
  • I keep a lot of factors in mind: reputation, parents who need to put toddlers to bed, squares or contras, old-time or other, etc. Callers who are prone to being dance-killers (the ones where people will decide just to go off to bed rather than suffer through interminable walk-thrus) never ever get to go late at night.
  • I never ask callers what exact dances they want to do, but I do know who likes to call squares and try not to put them back to back w/others who like to do squares. That way, a caller could do 2 squares if he or she wants to & not have to worry about the next caller wanting to do the same thing.
  • I also "program" only to the extent that I like to slot in at least 3 of the more dynamic callers in a clump near to the peak of the evening.
  • I will often go first as I know it's not a favorite slot, but if someone is willing to go early or very late, I'll make it up to him/her the next night. As we get older, it's getting harder to find late-night callers.

How can you get to call? You can let me know here that you're interested, look for me at the event, or send me an email. I will just keep your name in mind until I set up the schedule on the first evening.

Slots are on a half-hour basis and you should be able to get 2 dances done during that time. Generally speaking, it's bad form to go over time. If we start late, the breaks go long b/c of some variety show, another caller takes a year and a day, or whatever, I may ask you to really focus on making up some time. If so, keep it short, keep it simple. Doing so is a service to the community, not some personal affront on my part.

Some other things:

  • If you're not feeling up to doing 2 dances, that's totally fine & I appreciate your honesty and effort. You can split with any other caller of your choosing.
  • There will be a lot of great bands there, so generally speaking, please don't insist that I put you with a certain band. If there is one you like particularly, feel free to let me know, but it may not be possible to work it out. Trust me, they're all good.
  • Depending on how many callers are there, you may not get to go every evening (odds are good you will though).
  • Being willing to go really early or really late get you bonus points, especially if you keep it relatively simple at the late ones. When I was learning to call, odd times were one of the many things that I did in the name of "paying my dues."
  • If you decide to go to bed and are still on the list, please let me know.
  • If you want feedback on your calling, I'd be happy to give it, but only if asked. Other callers, I'm sure, will also give you feedback if asked. I hope you take the opportunity to talk to many of the callers and bands that weekend.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions. If you have more, by all means, post them here.

edited to add: I've got to leave now to call a dance out of town, and will have sporadic email for the next few weeks. If I don't get back to you in the nanoseconds that the internet seems to demand, my apologies. I'll be catching up every few days.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A million thanks for this excellent and comprehensive posting on how you do this! I always figured it took infinite tact and subtle judgment but you did it so well we never saw the inner clockworks.

I'm sure we'll do our best to be succinct and to be good citizens.

Is it generally okay to call slightly harder dances at Kimmswick?

mac said...

Good info for both new and experiencedd callers. It is one of those tough job that when done well, but best you hope for is no one complains.

Let me add a coujple suggestions:

If new callers want feedback - please ask about it before you dance so the person you ask can pay closer attention. Coming us to someone after and asking how you did may not get you much more than "fine"

If you want to experiment with harder dances - I suggest holding an afternoon session - sort of an enlarged version of the Wednesday parties. If something works well there you can discuss how it would translate to the night dances.

We have asked the hatchlings to host an afternoon calling discussion (open to everyone - including non-callers) similar to the very successful one John and Cathy hosted last year. Look for it when you get there.

Mac

Unknown said...

Well, I learned one more thing that we should add to Deborah's Excellent Post on Calling at Kimmswick.

If you sign up for Friday night, you're signed up for the weekend!

We didn't know that, and it caused some anxious moments on Saturday. I, for instance, felt that after playing, I was done. I planned to sign up again to call on Sunday night, when I wasn't playing. Imagine my surprise to find myself on the list again on Saturday! It turned out fine, and I was happy to get to call again, but it took some mental adjustments.

Another caller didn't even show up to call because he didn't know that signing up for the Friday dance meant signing up for the whole weekend. He did see his name on the board on Saturday, but with a slight variation in the last name, so he thought it must be some other caller.

But now we know, and it won't happen that way again.

I don't know about you, but I liked the feeling of being a part of the caller brotherhood/sisterhood. It gave me a new perspective on the weekend, slightly different from being part of the musician brotherhood/sisterhood.