Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Calling Party tonight, Wednesday August 27

Much to do! Much to do!

This was another of those evenings with twenty people in attendance. Even though only about ten to twelve people can dance at a time in our family room, no one really seemed to mind sitting out, since there was a small feast in the kitchen and lots of conversation to be had.

We ran the dances a little short tonight so that we could fit in more callers (isn't this wonderful?). The evening was a nice mix of dances we've done before and new ones that needed some attention.

I should mention at some point something about the music at the Calling Parties. I've collected a bunch of stuff over the years, so there's always a bin or two of CDs to go through to pick something to play. But Wade often brings wonderful recordings of our local old-time groups, and Billy's been making special mixes just for the purpose, and other people occasionally bring things as well. If we know what band we're going to be calling to soon we try to have something from them, just to get acclimated to the sound.

M
E

2 comments:

Dale Wilson said...

For the record, "Angular Momentum" by Gene Hubert was working at last night's Hatchling party until Martha came up and start to talk to me.

Lesson to be learned: Don't let anything distract you while you are calling. ;-)

Dale

Unknown said...

Well, I apologize. I'm not sure what I said, but if it wasn't short and relevant, I should be ashamed. Since we don't remember what it was, I'm not sure if I should be ashamed or not, but I apologize anyway.

But this brings up a good point. I would amend "Don't let anything distract you," to "Decide quickly whether to be distracted or not." If it's a house-on-fire kind of distraction, or someone saying to cut it short because it's going well and other people need a chance, I say process the information quickly and take appropriate action. But if someone decides to start discussing the dance or something - they can be dealt with later. Harshly, perhaps.

I also want to add that "Angular Momentum" went especially well at the next party (September 3). I was much impressed...

M
E