Monday, August 4, 2008

Cumberland Dance Week

What a Week!

I'm back from the Cumberland Dance Week, tired but happy. The week was just brimming with good folks, fine musicians, experienced dancers, and wonderful callers. On the calling staff we had Bill Litchman, Bob Dahlsemer, Chris Bischoff, Diane Silver, Susan Taylor, and Bob Tomlinson - and among the attendees were other good callers, Michael Barraclough, for example, and Kappy Laning, and our very own Eric Schreiber. Bob and I called three dances each during the late-night dances, and three of his and two of mine went quite well!

The big surprise was Bill Litchman. I don't believe he was really mentioned as a caller in the advance materials, or else I missed it. He was listed as a clarinet player. Now, I haven't always had great experiences with clarinets -- violin and clarinet is a tough combination, sonically, and I'd had a kind of bad experience with a clarinet-playing sourpuss when I was younger, so I was a little wary of Bill at first, but by the end of the week, he was one of my very favoritest people, uh-huh.

Bill has a dry, subtle wit, and he chuckles a lot and laughs easily, so he was an absolute dream as a band partner. When he said things, they were always so...wise and funny and smart. Little did I know in the beginning that he was in the callers' Pantheon, maybe even the Zeus of callers. So, while I had to miss the Callers' Workshop with the redoubtable Bob Dahlsemer, I was getting my very own tailor-made workshop with my stand partner, Zeus. ("Bill Litchman?" folks would tell me. Didn't you know? "He's the very best of the best.")

I gave him the short version of my adventures in English Country Dancing (we were playing the ECD class at the moment) about how frustrating it was to hear the calls only after the figure had already started, how it stopped my momentum and created a kind of chaos when other dancers were as clueless as I was as to what came next. "Oh, cadence calling," he said. "What?" I said. "Cadence calling. Like singing squares. You call the figure as it's being done. Of course, that only works when everyone already knows what to do, but sometimes, the calls are just part of the current action." At that moment, I felt two tectonic plates shift. A bit more description of the situation led him to agree that calling an English Dance to a group with some new people was not the time to be doing it, or else (get this) the dance was too difficult for the group. That is, if the dance were easy enough (very easy indeed, in my case) the dancers would remember the dance, so the calls being synchronous with the figures wouldn't cause a problem. See what I mean about the wisdom? I was going around "knowing" that Late Calls were simply Not Done, when, as so often happens, the truth is a lot more subtle than what I "know".

From Bill and from a delightful Englishman named Michael Barraclough, I enlarged my understanding of what the (British) English call ECD - it's a lot like the First Saturday Hatchling Dances we are planning! That is, there's really no special division of dances between "contra" and "English". It's all "Country Dancing". Circles, squares, longways, triplets - almost any patterned dance would be acceptable. American Contras are a special subset, as are Kentucky Running Sets (the ones brought back to England by Cecil Sharp). I forgot to ask about the vocabulary - whether or not everyone understands "Back to Back" to be the same as "Dosido"? Or "pull by right, pull by left" to be the same as "rights and lefts"? but my guess is that everyone is so bilingual in this regard that they wouldn't particularly notice, just as we might not notice if a caller called us "ladies" instead of "women" or vice versa.

The English apparently also have E-Ceilidhs, or, translated from Gaelic, "English Parties", which I understand to be filled with traditional English dances (including waltzes, schottisches and polkas) danced to somewhat traditional tunes, albeit with a Rock-and-Roll influence and played on modern electronic instruments, and "Barn Dances", which are like our wedding dances, or one-night-stand dances with easy dances for mostly non-dancers.

Alas, the one English dance I called at Cumberland, "Knives and Forks", did not go well. Nothing broke down, mind you, I just managed to suck the life out of the evening, even after my brilliantly stupid joke ("We would have had a Spoon, too, but the Dish ran away with the Spoon."). It was one of those dances in three, which for some strange reason I find difficult to call. I got just a tiny bit lost and wasn't sure I was in the right place, so my calls lacked a certain... confidence. Once again, I failed to prove that ECD is not slow and boring. Luckily, Susan Taylor is such a lively and non-boring English caller that she set the whole camp straight on THAT for an entire week, and my misadventure did not have any lasting effect.

The two contras I called, "Boomerang" and "Dancing Sailors" went very well, thank you very much, so the bruises to my personal reputation were pretty much healed by the end of the week, but I'm kind of determined to figure out a way to call "Knives and Forks" well.

M
E

5 comments:

contrawade said...

Yes, Cumberland was again a good experience. I'll agree with Martha about Bill Litchman, he's a treasure from what I saw. I also enjoyed the West Virginia squares Bob Dalsemer called. I think that between the two of them I got some material I can use that people will really enjoy (just gotta listen to those recordings!). As I was helping run the sound system (and I've been suffering from a sore knee for a couple months) I didn't really dance that much, but I did get to listen in on most of the dance workshops (no calling workshops for Wade this year! ). One thing that I did notice was that Susan Taylor was really not very rigid with her terminology in the ECD workshops: she'd throw in contra dance terms to describe the moves to the dancers. I think that is a good example to follow when calling for a mixed crowd . . . use whatever words you need to get the point across to the dancers. After all, the dance is not the names of the moves but the movements themselves, so if you get the dancers doing the right motions, you can later switch over to the "correct" terms and perhaps teach the dancers the ECD lexicon in that fashion.

Wade

Chrystal said...

"From Bill and from a delightful Englishman named Michael Barraclough, I enlarged my understanding of what the (British) English call ECD...there's really no special division of dances between "contra" and "English". It's all "Country Dancing"."

Spend some time on Colin Hume's website. He mentions that very thing on his advice to Americans who want to dance or call in England page... http://www.colinhume.com/american.htm is "Colin Hume's advice to Americans in England"

Also see Bob Archer's "English / American dancing - a comparison" http://www.bobarcher.org/dance/uk_us_comparison.html

Interesting stuff...

Unknown said...

Also check out Henry Morgenstein's essays - the ones from 2006 talk about Britain/US dancing variations. Henry has appeared in these pages before, too, last May 5.

Henry Morgenstein said...

Martha -- thanks for mentioning my essays again. Your description of a dance evening in England is correct: all kinds of dances are mixed together. They are baffled that we do "only contras" for the entire evening. By the way, I wrote an essay wherein I use your words -- "A lot of moves you do with yourself alone, with only gravity and centrifugal force as your partner." but I have been unable to contact you to ask for your name. Could you email me so that in the essay I can give you credit? (also, you are absolutely right about Bill Litchman -- long ago I hired him for one of my dance weeks -- and Michael Barraclough, a friend, has for long been an expert on English Country dancing and has only recently begun calling contras.

Unknown said...

Interestingly, several of the contra dancers who come regularly to our Calling Parties have started (or resumed) going to the English dances. Last night, we did some "contrafied" versions of a couple of English dances, and these - these contra dancers! - said they preferred the English versions. Wow.

So perhaps over time, our venture into calling both contra and English at our new First Saturday Hatchling Dances will allow us to erase the cultural barrier between the two forms.

Two days ago, I found a videotape in my basement marked "Berea College, Kentucky Set Running, an American Heritage Dance, 03/06/95" I have no idea how I came to have it, but, intrigued for various reasons, not the least of which is that the Cambridge England Country Dance group has a section on the Kentucky Running Set on their web site, I watched it. Not surprisingly, the video was done by our very own John Ramsay (we claim as much of him as we can), and contains wonderful old and new clips of people doing essentially the same dance in several different decades. While "running a set" does not necessarily mean anything other than "dancing a set", they surely do run when they dance!

M
E