Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Calling Party on Wednesday November 19

Thanks to the 15 or so people who showed up to the Calling party tonight! We had a great practice session - so preparations for our two dances (the Chicklings calling this Sunday's Childgrove dance, and the Dec 6 First Saturday Hatchling Dance) are coming along nicely. But we do have our work cut out for us.

Speaking of Chicklings, have you ever seen anything yellow and fuzzy look as tough and, let's face it, cool, as our Chickling badges? Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Watch out, kids, when we come calling...

Today I gathered together all the dances I've been collecting that were composed by Hatchlings and other St. Louis people, and printed them all on cards so we could lay them all out and figure out how to make a good evening out of them. So far, I have about twenty dances - and I still don't have all of Billy's! Wow. Six from Chrystal, five from Bob, two of Billy's, and Dale's Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss, which is causing quite a stir in the dancer cosmos. We also have a dance Andrew Limanni wrote for Karen's wedding to Dan, and two dances, one by Deborah Hyland and one by Ken Johnson, that are published in Midwest Folklore.

If we should happen to run out, we have bunches of good dances from People Formerly From St. Louis, like David Kirchner, Peter Lippincott, and Gene Hubert (okay, not strictly from St Louis, but his parents were from close by). I'm pretty positive this is not a complete list, but asking around and doing a bit of google research has not turned up others. So far.

And don't miss the Jovial Beggar English Country Dance Ball in Rolla this weekend! You will be amazed at the skill and enthusiasm of this young crowd. Seriously, folks, I've been to one of these, and it's worth the drive! See the posting just below for details!

2 comments:

Joe Felsen said...

I too was thiking about extending the list of possible dance writers to include Gene Hubert. Maybe we could create a certain mile radius from St. Louis.

Joe Felsen said...

I meant, "thinking". I'll try a preview this time. No, I'm not thirsty!