Sunday, January 6, 2008

English Country Dance January 5

Will wonders never cease? Last night's English Country Dance Ball was the best I've been to in St. Louis. At this rate, I'm going to get my wish to dance really good English Country Dancing in St. Louis a lot sooner than I dared to hope. Nice twelfth day of Christmas present...

Peter did a masterful job of keeping everyone moving all night long, and Chrystal, Kay and Rebecca each did the same in their dances. Kay can now call Colin Hume's difficult "St Louis" in her sleep (and apparently does, sometimes), and Chrystal's "Chrystal Saylor" (a modification of "Female Saylor") went off beautifully. Rebecca's "Off She Goes" was done with appropriate silliness.

I discovered I needed to let my dress know in advance what move I was planning to make. It's a lot easier to turn on a dime in modern dress than in a very full long dress with triple crinolines and a hoop underneath! When I wasn't sure whether I was turning over my left shoulder or my right, I sometimes ended up with the dress rather twisted around my middle. Period clothing can provide a good incentive to improve one's dancing.

And today's brunch at Kay's was delightful - 70 degree weather on the sixth of January. Paul played while Peter called and we danced on Kay's deck.

2 comments:

Chrystal said...

What a beautiful weekend!

Charles said...

And the music was particularly nice, too.
;-)