Thursday, January 17, 2008

Everything I know about dancing, I learned from a Jane Austen novel. . .

PBS's "Masterpiece Theatre" is currently running dramatizations of all six of Jane Austen's novels. It has been my experience that great novels make lousy films, and for the most part PBS and the BBC have not made me change my mind. But Jane Austen's novels almost always have episodes of dancing (i.e. English country dancing), and I look forward to seeing how the dances are depicted in film.

Last Sunday's offering was "Persuasion". There were many parts of the film that were regrettable, but the very brief scene of dancing was not. The scene was set in a country manor, and the heroine, Anne, played the piano while her family and relations danced. The dancing was very much like what we do in St. Louis, and the intimacy of the setting reminded me of Martha's calling parties. I don't know how historically accurate that particular portrayal of dancing was, but all generations seem to be dancing. (It's kind of a frightening thought to think that most people my age were already dead in Jane Austen's day!)

I am guessing here, but I presume that in a home setting--and perhaps even in a country town assembly--the dances would not have been called, because the dances would have been familiar to those involved. Much like today's country and western line dancing or yesterday's hokey-pokey, people learned from watching each other or from brief demonstrations by family or friends. Which isn't to say that calling is unimportant. I think it is very important. But it made me think that what we lack today is a common vocabulary of dances. This is not a new idea, I know. Wouldn't it be great, though, if everyone knew one or two dances (to start with), and that these dances were done at every English Country Dance? My candidates for the first two to be learned would be Chrystal Sailor and, of course, Saint Louis. We already have two wonderful callers, Chrystal and Kay, who could teach the dances. Once those dances were learned well by the regular attendees, they would then have a good grounding in ECD movement, and it might even make learning other dances easier. It would also be good for new comers, because they would know that at every dance, there would be something familiar. They wouldn't have to start from scratch every time.

Just a thought. . .

6 comments:

Kay said...

Thanks for the compliment about my calling, Charles. It would indeed be great if everyone knew some dances by heart. I wonder if doing them at each dance is practical--how many dances do we end up doing in a typical evening? I think it's only nine or so. Wouldn't the dancers get bored? What do the rest of you think?

If we were to do this, though, dances like St. Louis and Chrystal Saylor, which are vigorous, stylish, and fun, would probably be ideal candidates.

BTW, though I enjoyed the production of "Persuasion" immensely, I did think to myself that if Our Heroine didn't stop panting and trembling so much and so often, I might gag. Of course, it could also just have been me, watching at 2 or 3 in the morning (can't miss contra on Sunday nights, y'know, even for Jane).

Charles said...

You pose an interesting question: Would dancers get bored if one or two of the nine dances were the same at each ECD? Or would they appreciate having something they could work on from session to session? Perhaps one or two dances could be worked on for three months at a time and then one or two new dances will be introduced to take their place for the next three months and so on. By the end of the year, you could have as many as eight dances under your belt for the holiday ball.

Unknown said...

My dear friend Bob has often commented to me on the need to repeat dances often enough that the regulars know them by heart. He figures that new people will learn the moves faster when the experienced people are really sure of them. (He really shows his IFDA background, doesn't he?)

From my experience, even after I may have learned how to do a particular move so that it really works, it takes even longer to make it work in context. (Note to self as teacher/caller: it's the transistions, stupid!)

Choosing a dance or two to do every dance, or every other dance, for a few months would ultimately build up a repertoire that each dancer feels confident doing, which would surely increase the fun quotient!

M
E

Charles said...

"Northanger Abbey" was the offering on PBS last night, and it was much better than "Persuasion". Not only that, but there were many more dance scenes, all of which were beautifully staged. One really got a sense of how young people used the dances to talk and flirt. But in order to do so, they had to know the dances by heart.

As a musician, I noticed the first tune was one we use in ECD. I think it was "Childgrove", but at this distance (in time) from the broadcast, I can't be sure.

Chrystal said...

I know this is well after the fact as I have been out of town, but...
I honestly think(and have for a while) we should do St. Louis at every dance. For some of the precise reasons pointed out-people knowing at least one dance/what to expect. What an honor to have a dance written for us. I also think by doing that every week, it sort of shows our pride in who we are and what we do. Taking that kind of ownership really speaks for itself and often can often be motivational for new and not so new. I think it is also a good candidate because its NOT an easy dance. For newcommers to know that it is "our" dance and we dance it everytime it gives them something to work and and in turn a reason to keep comming back. We DO want to grow. :) As for repeating another dance I would love to see that. It will grow newcommers repoitre much faster than a complete rotation each month. I am just now in the last couple of montsh begining to remember dances(that we dont do in Dance Discovery) If we did another dance 2 or several dances in a row it helps with the learning curve! I love the idea.

BTW--anyone taping that series? I would love to see them, but have NO idea how to tape stuff off TV. HEE HEE.

Kay said...

Yeah--who out there is taping this series? I'm not at my best at 2 in the morning.... Besides, I'd love to see them again. Was that dance "Childgrove?" Might well have been--the tune was familiar--but I think they may have taken liberties with the figures.

Well, let's see what the ECD Board has to say about possibly repeating certain dances. I've talked about doing "St. Louis" often, and that seemed to be well received. If I can remember to do it, I'll just mention the idea to whoever is at DD rehearsal tonight.