Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Calling Party September 17, 2008

Good party! Lots of folks, and Billy brought a good new dance. Kay got us through Haymakers, and I did call Elizabeth (see below for pre-party thoughts). It went okay, though it pointed up how much more space we need to dance English. I won't remember everyone who called, so correct me if I leave you out, but here's at least part of the list: Karen, Bob, Wade, Billy, Kay, Martha, Chrystal...

Bob and Karen will be calling with Eric this Sunday. And we're getting ready for Dancing in the Streets at Grand Center and for Park Palooza at the Arch next weekend. Saturday 10:00 at the Arch, and 1:00 at Grand Center, and Sunday 1:00 at the Arch. See the Childgrove Flash Dance page for time and place.

Here were my pre-party thoughts:
"I'm so excited. After puzzling through Colin Hume's dance "Elizabeth" for a few weeks now, I got to dance it last Friday at ECD when Missy called it. Many lights went on, and I got to puzzling it out again. When I thought I had it, I sent it to several Hatchlings who I knew were interested in, either ECD or arcane minutiae (you know which you are). At the last moment, I included Colin on the distribution list, and, bless his English heart, he answered back and cleared it all up. It would have helped if I had had his directions to begin with, but never mind that...

Anyway, I've recorded a practice tape of the music, so we'll get to dance it tonight to the fifth iteration of my calling card. By George, I think it might just work!"

M
E

8 comments:

Dale Wilson said...

Is anyone counting how MANY interesting new dances Billy is bringing to the hatchling parties. He seems to come up with a new one every week!

Dale

Unknown said...

We should so try for a Hatchling Dance with all Hatchling Dances!

You, Billy, Chrystal, and Bob would surely have enough for an evening by, say, December, right?

M
E

Chrystal said...

Hey! I've only written 4 dances...and 2 are VERY similar.

Dale Wilson said...

OK. Chrystal says she's in for three dances. I have one and two halves (two dances that are not quite ready for prime time.)

We did 12 dances the first hatchling dance. With four authors (choreographers?) that's three apiece, so I have to finish mine, Chrystal has to pick one of the two twins, Bob can call some and Billy can fill in the rest. It might work!

Do you think we could coerce (er. encourage) Wade to write a square dance?

Dale

Chrystal said...

Uuuhhhh...uuummmmmmm...I said I have written 4 does that equal "in" for 3?

When is this "Hatchling Dance with Hatchling Dances" supposedly going to take place?

TwinkleToze said...

So far I think it's just Martha and Dale's hopes that possibly y'all could put something like that together for the Dec. Hatchling Dance. Don't feel pressured, Chrystal! But I *was* going to point out to everyone that the really nice dance you called last Wed. was also a new one that you had recently written. I applaud you dance writers talents. Way to go!

Karen

Unknown said...

When would you like for it to take place?

I'm recommending against the November dance since lots of dance gypsies will be at the Springfield or Memphis or Fairfield dance weekends on November 1.

December 6 would be good - besides being Chrystal's birthday, (and five days before mine) it would be like giving the dance community a holiday gift. If we wanted to feature, say, eight of our dances, we could also do dances by former St Louis folks - Dave Kirchner has some terrific ones, as does Peter Lippincott, both former callers here. There may be others.

M
E

TwinkleToze said...

Has it been decided yet if we're shooting for an all Hatchlings' dances dance in Dec.? I'd love us to discuss it more at the next calling party. I'd also love to have a writer or two let me call a dance of theirs that I'd feel up to, supposing we still split up the calling even though we don't all write dances. I could also call one of David K.'s or Peter L.'s, but it would be really neat if they could all be "ours."

~Karen