Monday, September 15, 2008

Introductory Workshop

I had an opportunity to lead the workshop for new dancers at Saturday's contra dance. Actually, as I walked in the door Mac said that he'd been trying to get in touch with me because I'd been bugging him (er...asking him politely) about leading a workshop. He thought this was a good opportunity.

I've been watching or participating in workshops for the last month or so and noticing how the other callers teach the moves. While I watched, I formed my own opinions about what went well, and what felt awkward. Of course I hadn't brought the notes I had taken or the simple dance I wanted to end with, but hey, a caller needs to be ready at any time, right? I took the plunge.

Overall I think the workshop was OK. There were a couple of things I had intended to cover that I forgot -- a star is the most important of them. And I couldn't come up with a simple dance on-the-fly to end the workshop so it sort of tailed-off rather than having a nice clean finish. [NOTE TO SELF: Always bring your calling notebook -- you never know.]

Some ideas I tried that did work are:

Have the dancers practice asking their partner if they want to dance. I remember the first couple of dances I came to I was very unsure about asking some of the really good dancers to dance, so I'm hoping this simple (almost silly) exercise will help ease that awkward moment.

Avoid over-explaining things. I have a urge to go into great detail -- probably because I'm used to programming computers. Dancers, though, even the beginners seem to be able to figure a lot of things out for themselves, so, for example, I didn't bother to tell the gents to let the ladies walk past them in a ladies' chain. Somehow they all figured it out.

Speaking of ladies chain, etc. The courtesy turn seems to be an awkward teaching moment in many workshops, so I stole an idea I saw a caller use a couple of months ago. I taught the courtesy turn first as a separate movement, then incorporated it into the ladies chain.

To teach a courtesy turn, start with a promenade around the set. Then just move the right hands from in front to behind to get the right position. The dancers already did a turn back into the set at the end of the promenade, so just reinforce that movement by having them courtesy turn all the way around. Once they get that part, explain that the courtesy turn is usually just part of a more elaborate move.

I used the Right & Left across as the first move that includes a courtesy turn. I like this because it starts with both members of the couple doing the same thing, and both of them in position for the courtesy turn without requiring the gent to turn around and anticipate where he needs to be.

After a R&L, the Ladies Chain seemed to happen pretty easily, and most of the gents I watched seemed to understand right away when I mentioned that a step to the right before the lady arrived made the move flow smoothly.

So, I don't get wings for this one, but I do think leading your first introductory workshop is one more step on the path to becoming a caller, and I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to try it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds to me as if you did exactly what is needed - having people practice asking someone to dance is brilliant!

I also really like your method of teaching the courtesy turn. I'd like to hear how you explained to people to get into promenade position, too. That's one of those things I just do, but probably could not explain.

M
E

mac said...

Dale - you are much too hard on yourself - you did an exceptional job. Keep in mind - you are not trying to create accomplished dancers in 20 min - just get enough familiarity to have them feel comfortable in the first dance.

You are correct - having a short dance to teach is useful - I actually us a shortened dance (only 48 beats) just to get them familiar with the idea of the progression - itis one of hte hardest things for hte beginner to grasp.

Dale Wilson said...

Martha,
To teach Promenade -- in the big circle.

Shake hands with your partner.
Join Left hands under the right ones.
Turn so you are standing side-by-side, both facing the center of the circle.
Now turn to the right together as a couple until the gent is on the inside of the circle and the lady is on the outside.
Let's play follow-the-leader.
-- and lead them out of the big circle into contra lines.

Mac,

Thanks.

Based on feedback I got later from the dancers I am pleased with my first attempt, but I know I can (and will!) do better.


Dale

TwinkleToze said...

Dale,
Dan and I used to teach workshops - way back when. At that time, I never thought of it as a prelude to calling, but I can see where it's an indispensable part that I haven't had to practice much lately. Hope I can get back into the "swing" when needed. Hearty congrats on your 1st time!
Karen J

Unknown said...

One of Karen and Dan's workshops was particularly wonderful, but created a difficult unintended consequence.

Hard to believe, I know, but Karen and Dan are especially good at the social aspects of the dance :-), and ran a "Flirting Workshop" around Valentine's Day one year. In actuality, the teaching was about acknowledging and valuing your partner (e.g., turn towards the outside person when you turn alone at the end of a down the hall), but one new dancer whose first exposure to contra dance was at this workshop, came to his own conclusion that serious flirting was not just okay, but somehow a part of "what we do here", and began a dance career that caused many a lovely young woman never to darken our door again. All but a few of the experienced women eventually refused to dance with him, and the few who did, tried to occupy him as often as possible to keep him away from new dancers.

Sadly, we haven't felt we could repeat the Flirting Workshop. Too bad, too, because it was a good one. Maybe we could repackage it as "Making Sure Your Partner has a Good Dance Experience."

M
E

TwinkleToze said...

Actually, it was a "Fun, Flourishes and Flirtation" workshop, which focused on fun things to do *once* you had all the details and timing down. (Which we also worked on.) I'm afraid we did create a "monster" or two, though. But I didn't know it may have inadvertently caused people not to come back - makes me feel bad! Oh well. It was fun for the most part and with most people.

Unknown said...

Well, I'm sure many more people have stayed over the years because of you than left because someone who once happened to be in your workshop behaved badly.

And I don't have numbers on how many people became better, friendlier dancers because of that workshop. As Dale pointed out in his original posting, he even thought it was important to practice asking someone to dance, and he's right. Many of us arrive at Childgrove needing to learn basic social things, and your workshop can only have helped.

People misinterpret what we say for their own reasons, and it is highly possible that our former dance friend would have behaved as he did even if we had had a workshop titled "Respecting Another Person's Space," or "Keep Your Eyes Above Shoulder Level."

M
E