Friday, September 19, 2008

Possible Calling Opportunity

I'M JUST PUTTING OUT FEELERS TO SEE IF THE HATCHLINGS ARE INTERESTED...

November 8th. 8-10pm

I was approached by a friend who wanted me to call a square dance for a whole group of beginners. LOL! (I cant call squares!) After telling her I didnt know how to call a square to save my life, she said they would be interested in doing any type of "Barn Dance" because she knew I called. I told her I didnt think I would be able to call an entire evening by myself--especially to beginners--and I dont have music. So she wondered if I knew anybody...I know a lot of somebody's and thus the opportunity has come up if we would like to call collectively.

This is a fun event that's done every fall for a bible study group I was a part of. So here's the plug...

Who? About 100 young adults. Ages 20-35ish
Where? Rockin' J Ranch Eureka, MO (IN THE BARN!)
When? Nov. 8th Calling between 8-10pm.
What? Various "Barn" Dances--SIMPLE STUFF(They only do this once a year)--squares, contras, circles, Virginia Reel.

What's the Kicker? They dont have a band or sound system. In the past they have danced to recorded music. I have a few connections for a sound system, but MUSIC? I dont know a band and I dont own any CD's that are dance-able. I dont even know how much a band costs to hire.

Give me some feedback. If it's a NO-GO they totally understand. They are currently requesting info from other callers in and around the STL area. They thought they would check with us as well.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So let's see...

Here's what Dudley Laufman does.

This looks interesting: Video of one night stand dances for $10.

And here is probably the best resource of all (pdf), from Seth Tepfer.

Unknown said...

ABOUT HIRING A BAND

Before you hire a band for such an evening, make a list of the dances you might want to do and run them by the band leader. For many of the dances, a regular old-time contra tune will do, but some of the dances you'll want to do have their own tunes (La Bastringue, the Patty Cake Polka etc.), and while it might not be absolutely necessary to use the traditional tune, it's good for bands to learn at least the most popular ones for just such events.

The cost of a band can vary enormously. Childgrove pays $200-$300 for a three-hour dance, depending on various factors. For a four-person band, that works out to about $16-$25 per person per hour. For private events, the cost is much higher - my bands charge $125 per person for the first hour, and $75 per person for every hour after that. Some bands charge more. Some charge less.

Then you have to factor in the cost of the sound system. Usually you have to find out who has one and who can run the system. Ask me and I'll give you the names of four local people, and if one of them can't do it, they may be able to help you locate others. People I know charge $75-100 for bringing and running a sound system for a fairly small venue like a barn.

M
E

7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said...

I've called at the Rocking J before and you should also factor in the DIRT FLOOR!--instruct them to spray it down several times beforehand.

Chrystal said...

They spray the dirt floor SEVERAL times throughout the nite. Doesnt seem to matter though. I always end up with..er, umm...nose issues.

Deborah...Are you booked that night? Want a gig?